Prolotherapy

Moderators: kwyss, Sillevis

Prolotherapy

Postby Jbeas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

[b]Currently seeing a patient who was recommended to possibly participate in prolotherapy injections. The patient presents with post laminectomy on right L5. No fusion. There is focal tenderness over right SI and iliolumbar ligament.It is difficult to determine if the patient's pain is from ligament laxity or ligament strain. The pain is so "pin pointable" and stretching of the QL relieves his complaints, but upon returning to standing position the patient's spot pain returns. Has anyone seen a patient who has had prolotherapy injections and any success?
Jbeas

Re: Prolotherapy

Postby justCat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 am

The question is, if there is laxity in the iliolumbar ligament, would stretching relieve pain or increase it? Pain may increase or return in standing simply due to being a loaded position. Prolotherapy is all about stimulating the body to repair inside by introducing inflammation , unfortunately most of the research that I have found basis the success rate on placement of the needles and physician . I will continue to research this, its becoming a hot topic among patients.
justCat

Postby Jbeas » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:23 pm

As a general inquiry,considering we use dry needling for similar reasons, do you think we can have as much affect as the physician? I know the gauge the physician uses is bigger. I havent seen much prolotherapy in our field. Also is this something that, in the future, may be designated for PT?
Jbeas

Postby vicki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 pm

First time on here. I have had 3 experiences with prolo, first with a patient that was not a candidate for rotator cuff surgery, elderly, chronic, heart issues. Great outcome. Because of this I researched and when my son was a senior in highschool and (had several big ten and D1 football offers) he injured his wrist, scapholuntate ligament, with a 725 power lift he was referred to hand surgeon. We decided to give prolo a try first. Saw a phenom doc with Corrective Care in South Bend. He first injected with dextrose, and two weeks later (because Sam was still having probs with weakness while throwing shot put) he added pumice to the dextrose. 5 Years later that wrist is still stronger than the left. Next situation was with turf toe 2 years ago...can be a career end for some players, we did prolo again twice, dextrose both times 2 weeks apart and absolutely fine since. I think for best results treatment at the acute stage...critical. Beleiver!
vicki

Postby vicki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:54 pm

PS...gauge would I believe not make a difference, it is the injected irritant that I think does.
vicki

Return to Lumbo-pelvic girdle