Ethical consideration.

Moderators: kwyss, Sillevis

Ethical consideration.

Postby Jbeas » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I am currently trating a patient who has chronic recurring LBP. The patient is a Work Comp. patient. He clearly responds to the treatment given, but for only the rest of the day. The patient claims that if he doesn't attend his sessions he will "get worse". He has plateaued in the carry over between treatments. I end up treating the same ailment/ dysfunction nearly every time. His Oswestry scale for LBP doesn't change. He has been with us for over a year. His insurance continues to pay. I continue to treat. He has been given multiple HEP in the past and adjusted PRN. I'm at a loss on if to continue with "maintenance" therapy at this time. It's not a Medicare patient.
Jbeas

Re: Ethical consideration.

Postby Sillevis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Obvioulsly, there is not improvement with your care. How about you contact the physician and discuss the case and your growing frustration. You have lack of progress obvioulsy with the outcome measures that you use. the question should be why continue and are there secundary gains for this patient in the current scenario?
Sillevis

Re: Ethical consideration.

Postby Jbeas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm

The patient does report that if he does not attend therapy there is a noticeable increase in his LBP levels. He benefits one to two days after treatment. so if the patient's condition worsens without treatment is it ethical to continue "maintenance" therapy?
Jbeas

Return to Lumbo-pelvic girdle