Arachnoiditis

Moderators: kwyss, Sillevis

Arachnoiditis

Postby Jbeas » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 pm

Currently treating a patient with this diagnoses. As I research this I find there is not much manual therapy approach to treat this. It is an inflamation of the two innermost layers of the spinal cord and can extend into the nerve roots. There seems to even be acute flare ups and chronic phases of this diagnoses as well. What, other than pain management, can we do for this patient?
Jbeas

Re: Arachnoiditis

Postby kwyss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Consider focussing on neuro tension / neuuro gliding exercises of the upper and lower extremities. Assisted exercise will likely be the best approach combined with myofascial stretching as indicated.
kwyss

Postby matt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 am

I don't know much about this condition. How is the patient presentling? What sort of problems are they having?
matt

Postby justCat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 pm

This is an inflammation illness and I have learned that over stimulation to the nerves can increase symptoms. Nerve glides or PNF patterns should be gentle.
justCat

Postby Paula » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:37 pm

I have never had a patient with this diagnosis, however, it is my understanding that it is an extremely painful condition. Symptoms are intractable pain usually described as an intense burning primarily in the lower back and legs and is misdiagnosed as other chronic pain conditions to include fibromyalgia, failed back syndrome and even lumbar djd. I would focus on trunk stabilization within patient tolerance, water therapy and modifying ADLS to allow for least amount of pain possible. This would definitely be one of the diagnoses that we would focus more on improving the patient's function than trying to decrease his/her pain.
Paula

Postby Sillevis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 pm

As we go on the course of changing function can physical therapy do anything to reduce this inflammatory process or are we just working symptomatic?
Sillevis

Postby Jbeas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:38 pm

That's just it. I understand neuro tension glides and stretching/ myofacial techniques might help, however if it is an inflamatory process of the Arachnoid tissue then I believe the inflamation must be treated. I DO believe that we can manage symptoms, but I havent researched enough to see the efficacy of our treatments on the inflamatory process of this diagnoses.
Jbeas

Postby justCat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:44 pm

If inflammation is the cause then how successful can you treat symptoms?
justCat

Return to Cervico-thoracic spine