Uncovetebral Joint.

Moderators: kwyss, Sillevis

Uncovetebral Joint.

Postby Jbeas » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Can we effectively treat arthritis in the uncovetebral joints?
Jbeas

Re: Uncovetebral Joint.

Postby kwyss » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 am

my question: do you treat a diagnosis or a dysfunction?
kwyss

Postby Jbeas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Its understandable that we cannot diagnose arthritis. That's the physician's job. I cannot change arthritis as well. I know. We DO treat the dysfunction of the tissue. I was observing that the Uncinate processes are unique to the cervical vertebrae and that if the there is inflamation in these specific articulations causing a localized pain, that it can lead to disability in the patient's ADL's if it progresses. Therefore do we continue to treat with just modalities or traction? Do we discharge the patient with hopes that the physician has prescribed adequate Anti-Inflamatories?
Jbeas

Postby Paula » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 pm

I feel we can treat the uncovertebral joint in the c-spine just as effectively as any other degenerative joint. Traction is usually a good rx for c-spine dysfunction. Is the patient demonstrating radicular sx or just localized pain? If the degenrative process is moderate to severe...the patient is probably going to have to take meds for the pain relief that therapy was unable to achieve. I would focus more on addressing the patient's impairments(decreased rom, strength, stability, posture), patient ed and functional limitations. If the patient continues with pain but his/her quality of life has improved secondary to improved function as a result of therapy then I would say physical therapy was effective although the patient continues with some pain.
Paula

Re: Uncovertebral Joint.

Postby Sillevis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I agree. I think that establishing if your patient has an uncovertebral issue is not easy. Side bending (which should compress the joint) also affect the facet joints. Traction should only be used in those cases where nerveroot impingement is the present. They key issue in PT is to treat the dysfunction and see what this does for the patient. That is what brings them in the clinic.
Sillevis

Return to Cervical spine