Post ACL repair

Moderators: kwyss, Sillevis

Post ACL repair

Postby Sillevis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:59 am

Patients is 16 year old soccer player who injured herself during match. Result complete tear of ACL. Unfortunately she proceeded with ACL repair. Now 6 weeks out she still lacks 3 degrees of extension. There is no normal hard endfeel. How agressive should I be in achieving full extsenion/ Her gait pattern is abnormal as a result of the extension issue; however, she reports no significant pain.
Sillevis

Re: Post ACL repair

Postby Paula » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm

In my experience with ACL repairs, we had to follow the surgeon's ACL repair protocol. I have had variable experience with how aggressive the surgeons allow the PT's to be. Does she still have to wear the knee brace at 0 degrees extension with closed chain exercises/activities? 3 degree lag 6 weeks post doesn't sound bad.
Paula

Postby Sillevis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Brace was removed at three weeks. The extension lag continues to be present with a heavy elastic painful endfeel.The motion loss results in ambulation issues.
Sillevis

Postby kwyss » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I know that the ortho guys in Indy are very aggressive in regards to regaining full extension as soon as possible. Prolonged endrange stretching while protecting the amount of anterior glide of the tibia (general use of a towel roll is advised under tibia) is advised. As mentioned in an earlier post it is important to know if the surgeon in case has restrictions.
kwyss

Return to Knee